Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Heifer calved

Heifer (I never thought of a name for her so her name is Heifer) had her calf on Wed. last week. The poor girl's hormones kicked in and she was really wild. She was like another animal and it was all I could do to get a rope around her neck. I took her calf away after it was dark out and he had walked under the fence and was sleeping in the grass. She did not even notice he was gone.
The next day she had settled down and I got her halter on and milked her. She is milking a little more than 3 gallons a day. The calf get 1 1/2 gallons and I would like to make some cheese with the extra.
Nice udder-right now I'm milking by hand as the milk machine's vacuum is not working right. :(
The calf likes his bottle! He gets fed 3 times a day. I do not believe in feeding calves from pails. There has been research against it and bottle feeding in more natural.

Baby calf (the dots are flies) He looks so much like a little deer!

No comments:

Post a Comment