Monday, April 12, 2010

Done Shearing

I just finished up shearing my goats. Yoohoo! Lots of mohair to wash. My white color carrier doe kid from last year had over 4# of mohair. Her fall fleece was around 2# so that is over 6# of mohair for a little about 60-65# goat! Wish my sheep were that efficient! :)
Here I am in the process of shearing one of the does, Belle (a color carrier white.)
Fleece is coming off. I use blade shears as I have tried electric shears and don't like them. (I did get to do a blow with a professional shearer's shears and that is REALLY nice. Cuts through like butter and is not as heavy as the electric shears and does not vibrate. The professional shearer's shears are run from a motor and have more power, but costs $1000's.)

Got the bucks done. The first thing one of them did was pee all over himself-goat cologne. Yuck! The bucks also had to fight to make sure that their place in the "butting order" did not change. I fed them some hay as I thought things were getting out of hand when one had blood on his horn base. They took a snack break and then went back to fighting, but not as hard as before. Oh well, they settled down as this morning both are friends again. (Bucks don't fight the same as rams. They alternate between growling at each other while pushing and shoving on each other and jumping up in the air to crack down on the opponent.)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post, especially the part dealing with the bucks settling their affairs! Our 3 little shetland ewes do also act so strangely after shearing. They engage in very strange behavior. They take turns bullying each other, not at all how they normally act. I'm glad your angora was so productive. We sheared 13 angora and nigora and I think my Wife is pleased with the "haul." Although I stayed well away, attending to other chores, as I can't stand to hear my girls and boys bellowing like they do, as if they are being tortured! Anyway, I look forward to reading your new blog(format). Ken and Mary of Fancy Fibers Farm, Texas

    ReplyDelete